Wednesday, April 18, 2012

In the beginning there was Ubuntu

Hello everybody!

This blog will be a guide and storage for myself and for everyone else with the knowledge and experiences I make while using the linux distribution Ubuntu. At the moment I am using the latest version of Ubuntu, 11.10.

Just a tip in advance: http://ubuntuforums.org is a nice place to look for answers.

I have some very basic knowledge about using the terminal, scripting etc. and I will try to be as specific and detailed with my work as I can, noting errors and possible workarounds I have discovered.

I hope this will be of some help to someone out there.
***
So some very basic commands in using the terminal:

(Ctrl+Alt+T starts the terminal by default)
The terminal if quite "friendly", if you don't know how to use a command juts type "command man". "man" stands for manual and this will bring up a short manual, how-to-use for the command within the terminal window.


sudo -- run a command as root (used quite often...)
cd -- change directory 
firefox -- typing a programmes name simply starts the program, e.g. firefox
ls -- list the contents of a directory
chmod 777  -- gives executable permission to a file like chmod 777 filename
./filename -- runs "filename" file (script for example)
rm -- remove file
sudo apt-get install application -- installs the program (you have to sudo it, aka run as root, else it will not work)
sudo apt-get remove application-- removes program
sudo apt-get autoclean -- removes unused libraries
ps -A -- list all running applications
sudo kill PID -- kills the application pased on PID number (application number, look it up with previous command)
sudo killall application -- it will kill the given application (no need to look up PID number, I personally find this way faster & esier)

That's a short list for some basic functions. Later post will explain other commands used.

No comments:

Post a Comment